Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Product Story: Chevron Pendant Necklaces

by BokBok Jewelry
Black and foil-lined green and gold seed-beads
on silver-plated findings with steel chain
by BokBok Jewelry
From selling online for over a year, I can tell you that chevrons are "a thing" - something that is well-known and popular. I've seen chevron canisters, chevron scarves, chevron wall hangings, chevron bags...the list goes on. While I may not "follow" trends, I'm not opposed to playing with them, especially when it gives me a chance to try something new.

Enter the idea of a chevron pendant.

I had wracked my poor brain for a while, trying to work out a way to somehow incorporate chevrons into my own work when I don't know very many beadweaving techniques. Suddenly, I finally hit upon a wire design with seed beads. I had a design, and I thought that was the hard part; however, the most difficult part was yet to come, for I still had to figure out how to make my idea into reality.

I dropped whatever it was that I was doing and started sketching. This is commonly the way I work out designs. "Sketching" in my head is much quicker and easier, but I tend to lose whatever ideas I think of.




After a few false starts, I had a working design sketch - I had the design, a color scheme, and a plan.

Green, gold, and cream seed-bead chevron pendant necklace
by BokBok Jewelry
This was my first attempt at a chevron necklace. The proportions are different than what I had envisioned, but it's cute, and gave me the information about making seed-bead chevrons that I needed to tweak the design into the pendant above.

And there you have it: the story behind my chevron pendant necklaces. I plan to expand my line of them while the chevron is still a thing - more colors, maybe some earrings. If you have any questions about the pieces or my design process, please feel free to leave a comment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment